Posts

The Problem With The Digital Camera Look & My Solutions To Correcting It

During the past decade digital cinema cameras seem to be more abundant than film cameras. However, now that we have easy access to digital cameras with these amazing specs, a new problem has (ironically) emerged: the images are actually too good. They are too clean. “Why is this a problem?” you may ask. Well, let me explain.

Are LEDs Ruining Your Projects? [VIDEO]

Did you know that LEDs lights may actually be ruining the look of your productions? And no, this problem can’t be fixed in the grade. We put seven different brands of LEDs lights to the test, capturing with a Red Epic Dragon camera. Then we discuss the results and how they’re going to affect the creative choices that you make on set.

8 Lighting Tools For Under $10 That Deliver Great Results [VIDEO]

Part 09: Data Management

Part 09: Data Management In todays digital world it is crucial to properly manage all those “1’s” and “0’s” that are generated by the camera. If even one “0” goes missing, it could corrupt the entire file resulting in a lost take, or worst yet the entire contents of the card. To make sure every […]

Part 08: Building A Rain Bar

Part 08: Building A Rain Bar It is all of the little details in an image that add up to make it standout, and give it that polished and professional feel. In part 08 of our series on bringing a cinematic look to our productions, we reveal how we did just that by adding rain […]

Part 07: Conducting A Camera Test

Part 07: Conducting A Camera Test Now that we have all of our planning, and scheduling done, we can just go out and shoot our project, right? Not quite. Before we head to set and press record, we do our due diligence to conduct a camera test so that we can illuminate any potential unforeseen […]

Part 06: Scheduling And Creating A Call Sheet

Part 06: Scheduling And Creating A Call Sheet One of the most challenging aspects of preparing for a shoot when you are beginning is developing a realistic schedule for the days work. This is where the information we gathered from the location scout is paired with our storyboards and our lighting diagrams to guide us in a reasonable direction.  If you […]

Part 05: Creating A Lighting Diagram

Part 05: Creating A Lighting Diagram With our storyboards in hand, it is time to figure out how to light our locations. Although this may seem like a daunting task, it is not as complicated as you may think. This is where the leg work we have done so far starts to pay off. We […]

Part 04: Storyboarding On A Small Budget

Part 04: Storyboarding On A Small Budget After completing the leg work of location scouting, the next step we take in our preproduction process is to Storyboard. It is unfortunate that storyboarding can often times get overlooked as an laborious step that costs too much for a small budget production. But we think it is […]

Part 03: How To Location Scout

Part 03: How To Location Scout We have landed the client, submitted the budget, and our proposal has been approved. Now it is time to start the leg work of preproduction. But where do you start? Our process begins by location scouting. Finding the right location, and maximizing it on screen is 70% of creating […]

Part 02: Budgeting And Proposals

Part 02: Budgeting And Proposals To craft and tell a story well, requires that we spend a significant amount of time in preproduction. After Landing The Client we begin building the foundation of our story by developing the proposal and creating the budget. Here is a look behind the scenes at our process …

10 Part Series: How To Create A Cinematic Look On A Small Budget

10 Part Series: How To Create A Cinematic Look On A Small Budget About 60% of any visual story worth viewing is the content, the other 40% is the execution of that story. Assuming you have a strong story, how do you create a cinematic look on a small budget? We’ve teamed up with Zacuto to […]

Portfolio Items