How to Cinematically Light a Corporate Video
(Cinematic Lighting Lesson 20)
Summary: While most filmmakers dream about how they’ll shoot their next feature film, the reality is that at some point you’ll be shooting a corporate video. You may even build a whole career off of it, since it is always in demand. In this video Ryan takes you behind the scenes and shows you his approach to cinematically lighting a corporate video.
Length: 6:15 minutes
Whether you’re just starting out or you’ve been shooting video for years, corporate video can be a great source of income. But how do you apply the theory we have taught and make your footage look cinematic? Well, we’ll show you how to do just that, in this video.
Choose A Great Location
If you’ve heard me say it once, you’ve heard me say it a thousand times: preproduction is the key to a successful shoot. This is particularly true with location scouting prior to the shoot. But the reality is that you will not get the luxury of location scouting on every shoot, especially on a lot of low budget corporate projects. How then do you still walk away with cinematic footage? The first step is to not settle with the first location given to you.
Most of the time some well-intentioned person shows you where they want you to shoot. This person rarely has experience with video, so they unintentionally set you up for failure with the location they selected. To solve this, upon arriving at the location look at the spot they have chosen for you, then ask to see as many other options as possible.
In our example, the first choice that we were given was the actual desk of the client. While it looked cool and had a lot of opportunity to create depth and separation there were two really big problems with this location...
** Want to read the rest of the transcript? Become a member. **
Camera / Audio
- Sony Alpha a7S Mirrorless Digital Camera
- Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens
- Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter – Canon EOS (EF / EF-s) to Sony E-Mount
- Bright Tangerine Misfit Matte Box
- Tilta FF-T03 15mm Follow Focus with Hard Stops
- Sachtler Panorama 7+7 Head 100mm (similar head: 1006 DV 10 SB Fluid Head)
- Sachtler Carbon Fiber Tripod (similar tripod: Carbon Fiber HD Tripod Legs)
- MYT Works 4′ Medium slider w/ HiHat
- Hollywood Beefy Baby Stand (8.5′) (two, to raise the MYT Works slider)
- Movcam Cage for Sony A7S
- Sekonic L-758Cine DigitalMaster Light Meter
- Wooden Camera A/B Gold-Mount Plate for Sony A7, A7r and A7s
- Audio Technica AT835b Shotgun Microphone (similar microphone: Audio Technica BP4071 Shotgun Microphone)
- Wooden Camera DSLR A-Box
- Delkin Devices 64GB SDXC Memory Card 600x UHS-I
- DSC Labs One Shot Reference Chart (Matte Finish)
Behind the Scenes (BTS) Cameras
- GoPro Hero3 Black (similar camera: GoPro HERO4 Black)
- Sony Alpha SLT-A57
- Filmcity DSLR Camera Cage Shoulder Rig kit (FC-03)